The Royal Hotel building was completed in 1902 just prior to owner R M Hyne's death. This building replaced the earlier Bush Inn built in 1858 for E T Aldridge. The name was changed in 1863 to the Royal Hotel.
The Bazaar Street end of the building was built in 1892 as a drapery shop later converted to become a bar while the rest of the hotel building was completed. The Royal, with its grand foyer and staircase was always a focus for gala occasions in the life of the city.