Are you feeling that mid-week misery? Weighed down by your Wednesday woes? Well, it’s time to turn that frown around. The Colmslie Recreation Reserve in Morningside is getting a food truck fest, and it’s exactly what you need to get out of that hump day slump.
A huge range of trucks will be hauling in, with something to tempt every taste bud. You can enjoy the cheesy goodness of the mac bowls from Mac From Way Back, or get ready to guac and roll with the nacho bowl from This Little Piggy. Then when it’s time for dessert, why not stop by I Dream Ice Cream for an in-cone-ceivably delicious soft serve?
The impressive line-up also includes Wok’n Rice, Abbiocco, Rolling Stone Pizza, and Juice Power – plus, there’s even a bar. Yep, it’s time to get truckin’ excited.
Easy Street Eats will be hosted on every second Wednesday from 5pm – 9pm. So grab your fam, your mates, or even your dog (yes, furry friends are welcome) and head down for treats that can’t be beat.
We had a chat to one of the geniuses behind the event, Mikayla, to find out more.
Can you tell us a bit about your background and how you got involved with Easy Street Eats?
This ‘group’ of food trucks (we use the word group very loosely) has come together very organically. We were all involved in the same local market event which was unfortunately cancelled earlier this year. We all come from various backgrounds such as hospitality, chefing, marketing and events, and this has allowed us all to work together as a really great team and input equally. We have no ‘organiser’ as such, as we haven’t felt there was a need and we all work together to get the event up and running each fortnight.
Where did the concept of Easy Street Eats come from, and how long did it take to organise?
When we found out the market was cancelled, we decided very quickly that we had to keep something going! We all had the same goal of keeping a pop-up event happening in the Morningside area, as there is a definite pull for food trucks there. Also, keeping up appearances mid-week was important to us; people want great food and a cool hang out on a Wednesday too!
Our aim is simple: get a group of food trucks together for a fun and relaxed night of music and food. As we are all already established businesses and friends, it was relatively quick to put together. And with the support of the locals, the first event was a great success!
Tell us about the amazing food trucks involved and what sort of delicious food patrons can expect.
- Abbiocco: The deliciously Italian inspired food truck. Now when I say that “I can’t get enough of their bacon & mozzarella arancini balls”, it’s no joke! This is a truck serving up their take on various Italian dishes, and you can expect incredibly tasty food with lots of cheese and all house-made sauces!
- Mac From Way Back: It’s all in the name; mac n cheese on EVERYTHING! Dane makes a seven-cheese sauce, and the only way to describe it is luscious. Try their mac n cheese bowls with your favourite topping such as beef brisket or mozzarella sticks.
- Wok’n Rice: Urban Asian street food at its best. How can you go wrong with fresh, tasty fried rice and sides such as chicken wings and char sui pork belly. Their motto “Same same, but different” has never been more appropriate.
- Rolling Stone Pizza: Serving up actual wood fired pizza and you can taste the authenticity! The bases are perfect and choice of toppings are just as delicious. Our favourite is the pumpkin, feta & pine nut. Pizza is great for sharing, but from these guys, you won’t want to!
- Juice Power: With their freshly blended fruit smoothies, frappes and coffees you can’t go wrong when grabbing a refreshing drink from these friendly faces. Our favourite is definitely the watermelon frappe – so good!
- I Dream Ice Cream: Sprinkles, flakes, chocolate sauce, crushed nuts and so much more! It can all be found in Queensland’s longest running ice cream truck. So satisfying, so yummy, the perfect way to end your night out.
- This Little Piggie: You can’t go past pork which has been slow cooked to perfection! Famous for their nacho bowl featuring their amazing pulled pork and house-made guacamole. Plus, they have loaded sweet potatoes and burgers – what more could you want?
What are some of your personal favourite eats on offer?
The group “go-to” meals are usually the bacon & mozzarella arancini with aioli from Abbiocco, the loaded sweet potatoes with pulled pork from This Little Piggie, and if we are after something a bit different, the fried rice with 12-hour cooked char sui pork belly from Wok’n Rice. We are so spoilt for choice!
What should someone order if they want a really guilty pleasure?
The most indulgent meal on offer would probably be the Mac Daddy burger from Mac From Way Back. Twelve-hour braised crispy brisket, slaw, and smoky BBQ sauce, all topped off with their signature mac and cheese. Definitely a crowd favourite!
But if you’re more of a sweet tooth, a classic chocolate dipped creamy soft serve from I Dream Ice Cream will be sure to put a smile on your face.
When you’re in the mood for something a bit different, where do you love to go for a great meal in your area?
When we aren’t serving up food ourselves, we do love to chase down other food trucks! There are so many great ones in Brisbane and they do frequent nearby areas all throughout the week.
You can find Easy Street Eats at Colmslie Recreation Reserve in Morningside every second Wednesday. For more information, just check out their Facebook page.